History of Red Oak Fire Rescue

Certificate of Incorporation for the Red Oak volunteer fire department in 1968
Picture for the Red Oak Fire Department History Book in black and white of 5 firefighters and engine
  • The city purchased its first fire truck in 1949 and the first Fire Chief was Joe Smith until 1958. Perry McCalman was appointed in 1958.
  • In 1951 another fire truck was purchased.
  • April 1963, the largest fire in the city’s history where the local high school and gymnasium burnt to the ground.
  • 1949 to September 1997 - All-Volunteer Fire Department
  • In 1988, the Ellis County Fire District #3 was established to cover areas beyond the city limits of Red Oak. 
  • October 1997 established a combination fire department (Volunteer & Paid). 2 part-time firefighters working 8 am-4 pm
  • In 2001, began 24-hour coverage utilizing part-time personnel. 
  • In June 2004, ROFR adopted their first state-approved Emergency Management Plan.
  • In 2004 became a certified training facility through the State of Texas.
  • In 2004, the Department became a charter member of the EDUCT Group (Ellis Dallas Unified Cooperative Team), a 10-city collaborative team for training, risks assessment, and responses. This team’s goal is to bring unity to the departments within the region.
  • In 2005, Ellis County Fire District #3 changed its name to Emergency Service District #4.
  • In 2006, Red Oak Fire Department changed its name to Red Oak Fire Rescue because of expanded services.
  • In March 2006, the State of Texas approved Red Oak’s advanced Emergency Management Plan.
  • In 2007, the Red Oak Firefighter Association was established becoming a charter member of the IAFF Local #4533 (International Association of Firefighters).
  • In January 2008, ROFR opened Station 2 at 1201 Pierce Road.
  • In 2008, ROFR became a part of TIFMAS (Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System) and established an All-Hazard statewide task force response team. 
  • In October 2009, a Regional Communication Center (covering Midlothian, Ovilla, and Red Oak) was established.
  • We received a Brush Truck on a Texas Forest Service Grant in 2009.
  • In 2011, we constructed the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
  • In 2012, we created the first department Honor Guard.
  • We received a new custom Spartan ERV Engine in 2013.
  • We received a new custom Spartan ERV 103' Ladder Truck in 2014.
  • 2015 CareFlite Ambulance service began
  • 2015 Received Mobile Incident Command Unit MIC-181 shared with ROISD
  • 2016 AMR began as our ambulance provider
  • 2016 Received Best Practices Recognition
  • 2017 Received new Pierce Enforcer Fire Engine Pumper
  • 2017 First Battalion Chief's Position established
  • 2019 Received TIFMAS Brush Engine from Texas Forest Service
  • 2019 Chief Eric Thompson retired
  • 2020 Received Rescue 181