- Firefighter Employment
- Eligibility & Selection Process
Eligibility & Selection Process
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a High School Diploma or GED
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection Basic Structure Firefighter
- Texas Department of State Health Services Emergency Medical Technician
- Valid Texas Driver's License with an insurable driving record
The selection process begins with an application period. Applicants should review the criminal history, motor vehicle review, and medical/physical requirements to ensure that they qualify as eligible candidate for employment. After the qualification review, the top candidates will take a physical ability test. Candidates with the top combined scores (qualification review scoring and physical ability time) will be scheduled to begin the background process. Candidates who successfully pass the background process will be invited to a panel interview. Successful candidates will take a polygraph and psychological exam. Top candidates will then proceed to the chief’s interview. Depending on the number of open entry-level positions, a conditional offer of employment will be extended to the top candidate(s).
- Application Period - The position will remain open until filled. Applications are to be submitted online through the City’s website. Resumes, certifications, and additional required paperwork (see checklist below) should be uploaded when you complete your online application.
- Signed and dated Qualifications Points Sheet
- Preliminary Background Questionaire
- Copy of Certifications (as listed on the Qualifications Points Sheet)
- Qualification & Preliminary Background Review - Initial applicant ranking will be determined based upon a point system measured by TCFP and TDSHS certification levels, education level, and years of experience. Minimum qualifications are listed in the job description under the Education, Experience, and Certification section. If minimal qualifications cannot be met by the date of hire, there is no need to submit your resume. The top-ranking applicants will be invited to participate in a physical ability test.
- Physical Ability Test - Invitations for the physical ability test will be issued a minimum of 2 weeks before the testing date. The physical ability test consists of seven events: LADDER CLIMB, HOSE HOIST, COUPLE AND DRAG, HOSE STACK, VENTILATION SIMULATION, CHARGED HOSE DRAG, and VICTIM DRAG. Candidates with the highest qualification points and successful completion of the physical ability test will be contacted to advance in the process.
- Testing Location: Central Fire Station #1, 547 N Methodist Street, Red Oak, Texas 75154
- Background Investigation - The Red Oak Fire Rescue Fire Marshal’s Office will conduct the background investigation, including reference checks, employment history, criminal history, and driving record checks.
- Panel Interview - The interview panel consists of Red Oak Fire Rescue members and includes the same structured situational questions for each candidate.
- Polygraph & Psychological Exam - The top scoring candidates from the panel interview will continue to the polygraph and psychological exam.
- Chief's Interview - The final interview will be conducted with the Red Oak Fire Rescue Chief's. This final interview will determine which candidates will be extended a conditional offer of employment.
- Pre-Employment - All City of Red Oak employees are subject to a medical assessment and drug screening.