Driving Safety Course
You may request to have your citation dismissed by pleading "no contest" or "guilty", paying court costs of $129.10 or $152.10 for offenses committed in a school zone, and completing a driving safety course approved by the Texas Education Agency. (TEA).
A request to take the course MUST be made to the court by the 10-day date on your citation or at your scheduled court appearance. Court costs and administrative fees must be paid at the time of the request. You should not take the course or request your driving record until you have received approval from the Municipal Court.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License or military ID (that is not classified as a commercial drivers license CDL).
- Not have completed a driver safety course to dismiss a citation within the last 12 months prior or be in the process of taking the course for another traffic violation.
- You must not be the holder of a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Violation did not occur in a construction zone with workers present.
- A speeding violation must not exceed the posted speed limit by more than 24 MPH over the posted speed limit.
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must present current personal proof of liability insurance in your name or listing your name as a covered driver.
- Violation did not occur while passing a school bus.
- Complete the Driving Safety Request on your citation, have your signature notarized and make certain you entered your plea of guilty or no contest in number 1 of the request.
- Mail the court costs of $129.10 or $152.10 if the violation was in a school zone. DO NOT MAIL CASH.
- Present a valid Texas driver's license. Out of State residents are not eligible unless military or you hold a Texas DL.
- Show proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance)
- Mail payment and required documents to Red Oak Municipal Court, 101 Live Oak, Red Oak, Texas 75154.
- You will receive paperwork that must be signed and returned to our office. You will also receive a receipt of payment and the due date for the required documents to be received back to the court. The Administrative Code was amended as of November 1, 2018, to permit us to accept an emailed signed copy of the DSC certificate.
Request to take a Driver's Safety Course may be completed online by completing the online form HERE.
Note that making your request in this manner will NOT be in real-time and will require you to follow instructions given through the email address that you will provide.
Failure to comply:
You will be scheduled on a "show cause" docket, and you will be required to appear in Court to discuss your case with the Judge. If you do not appear at the hearing, a final judgment will be entered and a capias warrant for your arrest may be issued. A guilty conviction will be reported to the Department of Public Safety and the violation will appear on your driving record and or criminal record and may result in an assessment on your driver's license of a surcharge under the Driver Responsibility Program.