Jail Unit

The Red Oak Police Department operates a temporary holding facility that is designed to hold both female and male detainees prior to release and/or transport to another facility. Prisoners charged with Class B Misdemeanors or higher are transported to the Ellis County Jail upon arraignment.

The Red Oak holding facility is tasked with the care, custody, and welfare of detainees in accordance with established procedures while ensuring facility safety, security, order, and control of the facility population. This is not a task taken lightly and is performed by every staff member. Detainees' rights are protected at all times while maintaining the standard policies and procedures set forth by the Red Oak Police Department for temporary holding facility operations.

Frequently Asked Questions

​• How can I find out if someone is in the Red Oak Police Department holding facility?    
​       -During normal business hours (M-F 8am-5pm) contact the records clerk staff in person or by   
​       telephone at:
​                            547 N. Methodist
​                            Red Oak, Texas 75154
​                            (972) 617-7632

​• When is the holding facility open? 
​       -The jail is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

​• Where is the Ellis County Jail? 
​     300 S. Jackson
​     Waxahachie, Texas 75165
​     (972) 825-4931

​• What does it mean when a person is being "booked"? 
​     -This is an administrative process documenting a prisoner's entrance into a holding facility/jail.   
​    The process includes collecting information such as the person's name, address, medical 
​     information, the reason(s) for the arrest (criminal charge(s)), and inventorying personal property. 
​     A photograph and fingerprints are taken as well.

​• What occurs during an arraignment? 
​     -An arraignment is a formal meeting between a judge and a prisoner. The judge informs the 
​     prisoner of his or her charge(s), reads the prisoner his or her rights, and advises the prisoner of
​     the bond amount.

​• When are prisoners arraigned? 
​     -Arraignments are generally held once daily during the week by the municipal judge.

​• What is "jail credit"? 
​     -The City of Red Oak Municipal Court assigns a monetary value for time spent in jail for Red Oak
​     Class C Misdemeanor tickets or warrants. A municipal judge determines jail credit as regulated 
​     by state law.

​• Is jail credit applied to all arrests? 
​     -No, jail credit only applies to on-site Red Oak Class C Misdemeanors, Failure to Appear 
​     Warrants, and Capias Warrants.

​• When may I visit a prisoner? 
​     -No visitation is allowed.

​• How can I pay for a prisoner’s Class C charges while they are incarcerated? 
​     -Cash, credit card, or debit card payments for a prisoner’s Class C Misdemeanor charges 
​     (including warrants) can be made at the Red Oak Municipal Court. Red Oak Police Department 
​     personnel operating the holding facility are authorized to collect money orders for fine payments 
​     made payable to the City of Red Oak for the exact fine amount.

​ • What items may I bring for a prisoner? 
​     -Personal items of convenience and money may not be contributed to the prisoner's property. A
​     prisoner's prescription medication can be brought but the prescription bottle must have the
​     prisoner's name.

​ • How may I get a prisoner's property? 
​     -Prisoner property can only be released after the prisoner grants written permission authorizing  
​     the release. To claim prisoner property you will need to present a government-issued
​     identification card (such as a driver license) and sign a property release form.

​• May a prisoner make free phone calls? 
​     -Prisoners are allowed to place one free telephone call once the booking process has been  
​     completed. A prisoner also has the opportunity to make collect phone calls from inside a cell.

​• What is a Failure to Appear Warrant? 
​     -This is a warrant where no plea has been entered. A prisoner can pay cash or credit or use a 
​     bail bond company who will post a bond for this type of warrant. The bond assures that the
​     prisoner will appear in court.

​• What is a Capias Warrant? 
​     -This is a warrant where a plea has been entered and the prisoner did not follow through with the
​     court agreement. The only way to resolve a Capias Warrant is to pay the fine in full or by   
​     remaining in jail until enough jail credit has been earned ("time served").

​• How can a prisoner resolve a City of Red Oak Class C Misdemeanor Warrant? 
​     -Cash o Credit Card (MasterCard, Visa, or Discover)
​     -Released "time served" after acquiring enough jail credit
​     -A combination of jail credit and payment (cash or credit card)

​• How can a prisoner resolve a Class C misdemeanor warrant issued from another city? 
​     -Payment can be accepted by the issuing agency. Most agencies do not allow cities to accept 
​     bonds or fines for their charges — payment must be made at the issuing agency.

​• How can a prisoner get out of jail when arrested for a felony or misdemeanor (other than a Class C Misdemeanor)? 
​     -Contact an attorney or a bail bond company

​• Will city employees recommend a bail bond company or an attorney? 
​     -No, but most bail bond companies and attorneys can be located in the phone book, on the 
​     Internet, or by using directory assistance.

​• Where are prisoners' vehicles stored? 
​     -Tow Pro Towing:
​     306 Moreview Street
​     Red Oak, Texas 75154
​     (979) 938-3221

​     Wrecker Service inquiries concerning fees, a method of payment, and directions to the storage
​     facility should be directed to the towing company (Tow Pro Towing). Be prepared to provide 
​     information such as the vehicle's year, make, model, and license plate number.

​• Where can prisoners released from the Red Oak Police Department Holding Facility be picked up? 
​     -Prisoners are released into the lobby of the Police Department:
​     547 N. Methodist
​      Red Oak, Texas 75154

​• How do I get information on a prisoner that has been transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)? 
​     -You may contact ICE at (214) 905-5829 for this information. Personnel at the Red Oak Police
​     Department Holding Facility will not have any information regarding any prisoner transferred into
​     ICE’s custody.